Sunday 3 February 2008

Murder My Sweet

At the current temporary home of the Cinematheque in Brussels we saw Edward Dmytryk's Murder My Sweet, which was incidentally renamed from the original (Raymond Chandler) book title of Farewell My Lovely for fear it sounded too much like a musical!

It's a perfect noir, as you'd expect given its sources. Dick Powell's version of the iconic Philip Marlowe apparently (ie: according to IMDB) met with Chandler's approval, and it is the wonderful delivery of the one-liners that made the greatest impact on me.

Like these:

Lindsay Marriott: I'm afraid I don't like your manner.
Philip Marlowe: Yeah, I've had complaints about it, but it keeps getting worse.

Helen Grayle: I hadn't supposed there were enough murders these days to make detecting very attractive to a young man.
Philip Marlowe: I stir up trouble on the side.

Helen Grayle: I find men *very* attractive.
Philip Marlowe: I imagine they meet you halfway.

Philip Marlowe: What were you saying?
Dr. Sonderborg: I made no remark.
Philip Marlowe: Remarks want you to make them. They got their tongues hanging out waiting to be said.

PERFECT!

No comments: