Thursday 14 February 2008

Brokeback Mountain

I've only just seen this film. I never got round to seeing it when it came out and whilst it was always on my list to see, there was always something I wanted to see more. Plus everyone else had seen it so no-one wanted to watch it with me. But my unexpectedly emotional reaction to Heath Ledger's death made me want to watch it, to see the performance that he'll be remembered for.

And it is as wonderful as all the eulogies said. It's so understated, tortured, so full of sorrow and guilt. From his voice to his body language to his eyes, all the pain in Ennis Del Mar's life is there.

It's actually quite hard to write about because it's such a consuming film, it catches you and draws you in and you can't escape. You know those films that when you come out of the cinema make you feel like the "real" world is stranger and less real than the "fake" one you saw on screen? This is one of those films. It's so, so perfect a film, and so, so sad, made doubly so now. But somehow wonderful too, like the saddest things are I suppose.

No comments: