Sunday 24 February 2008

I'm Not There

Saw Todd Haynes' I'm Not There at the wonderfully rickety Red Vic Movie House on San Francisco's Haight St. Somehow an apt location for this film.

I think I agree with general views on it, that it doesn't quite work but very nearly, and it's as close as you're gonna get to the "real" Bob Dylan.

I didn't like Richard Gere's segment, but I liked Cate Blanchett (obviously!, she was fantastic). My favourite sections were the Heath Ledger/Charlotte Gainsbourg ones. Their parts were the only ones that drew you into a story and took it beyond gauging how well each actor could "be" Bob, more than just a sort of caricature. Their's was a real story I suppose, with a proper connection with the viewer. It was a more universal story of fame and family life as opposed to the specific details of a specific person's life.

As a big Dylan fan, it was fun to match up the actors to the "periods" of Dylan's life, and to connect people with the actors, like Michelle Williams with Edie Sedgwick or Charlotte Gainsbourg with Sara Dylan. There was no bit of the film I thought really inaccurate, but some of it sat easier than the rest.

No comments: